Los strudels de W. 7/12/91
For 2 strudels.
2 leveled cups sifted flour
2 level tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon iced water
1/8 lb butter
3 lb juicy apples
1 cup sugar
1 cup raisins
½ level Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon rhum
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup slivered almonds
Note: Measurements and precision are extremely important!
• Sift the four, add sugar and salt, add the water, one spoon at the time, knead.
• Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes. It should be very stiff. Set into a ball and set
aside, covered, for ½ hour.
• Peel and core the apples, cut into 1/16th inches slices, lengthwise.
• Take ½ of the dough and roll out as thin as possible into a rectangle.
• Pick up the sheet of dough. Make fists of both hands, drape the dough over your hands and pull hands outside.
• Continue stretching until the sheet is very thin. The sheet must be 18”x14”.
• Lay the sheet on a floured pastry plate. Melt the butter and paint the sheet with ½ the butter.
• Take the ½ apple slices, mix with ½ cup of sugar, ½ cup of raisins, ¼ leveled tablespoon cinnamon and 1 or 2 teaspoons of rhum. Spread on the dough. Roll tightly to form a long roll. Press the ends to seal.
• Repeat for the 2nd strudel. Butter oven tray. Preheat oven at 475 degrees. Beat the egg yolk and paint the 2 strudels. Sprinkle a teaspoonful of sugar over and ¼ cup of slivered almonds.
• Bake 10 minutes at 475, 20 minutes at 400, 15 minutes at 300.
• Remove from the oven, pour the juice over the strudel.
• Enjoy hot or cold.